Friday 23 August 2013

Ontario Speculative Fiction Author Reading List

*I've done an updated list with a LOT more authors, which you can find here.*

I did this endcap about a month ago (it's still up at the World's Biggest Bookstore) because several local authors had new books coming out.  It's hard to believe how many speculative fiction authors live in Ontario.  Oh, and for those of you who aren't Canadian, "Yours to Discover" is Ontario's license plate saying.

As with all my reading lists, this isn't a comprehensive list.  I know I'm missing people on the display, and list (authors I don't know, authors we don't carry, out of print books, etc.).  So if you know an author who's missing, mention them in the comment section and I'll add them to the list.


Books On the Display:

Book of Tongues - Gemma Files
Eutopia, 'Geisters, Rasputin's Bastards, Monstrous Affections - David Nickle
Indigo Springs - A. M. Dellamonica (her bio says Vancouver, but she just moved to Toronto)
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
A Turn of Light - Julie Czerneda
The New Moon's Arms - Nalo Hopkinson
Silence - Michelle Sagara
The Wild Ways - Tanya Huff
The Mirror Prince, Shadowlands - Violette Malan,
The Silver Lake - Fiona Patton
River of Stars - Guy Gavriel Kay
Sins of the Angels, Sins of the Son - Linda Poitevin
Technicolor Ultra Mall - Ryan Oakley
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
Red Planet Blues - Robert J. Sawyer
vN, iD - Madeline Ashby
Enter, Night - Michael Rowe
Chimerascope - Douglas Smith
Virga: Cities of the Air - Karl Schroeder
The Pattern Scars - Caitlin Sweet
Blind Sight - Peter Watts

Unrepresented Authors:

Once Every Never - Lesley Livingston
Above - Leah Bobet
The Moon Under Her Feet - Derwin Mak
Run With the Wolves: The Pack - T. C. Tombs

4 comments:

Paul Weimer said...

Thanks Jessica! I've actually read a few of these...

Unknown said...

Oh, what a great list. Thanks for posting this and thanks to Paul for sharing it on Twitter!

There are a number of Ontario authors in CZP's Imaginarium 2012 (and, I imagine, in the 2013 edition as well, although I haven't read it yet) who aren't on your list because they mainly work in short fiction, including the talented Claire Humphrey, who I know is Ontarian.

http://chizinepub.com/books/imaginarium/imaginarium_2012.php

Doug Smith said...

Thanks for doing this (and including Chimerascope). I'd add Robert Boyczuk (also a CZP author) and Mark Leslie to your list as well.

Jessica Strider said...

I'm in the process of going through Ad Astra's program book to see what other authors (for books, poems and short stories - thanks Stephen for suggesting that) I should add. Then I'll look through Imaginarium too. I've been busy so it's taking longer than expected, but I'll have them up soon.